According to one study on the impact of packaging on consumer behavior, glossy finishes lead to more favorable customer evaluations. This means that every time a consumer walks into a supermarket, they are more likely to consider getting a product with shiny packaging.
Glossy packaging uses hot stamping machines to do a process called foil printing. The fact that glossy design attracts consumers makes hot stamping machines an important investment for printing companies.
In this article, we’ll talk about foil printing and its benefits, applications, and purpose.
What’s Foil Stamping?
Foil stamping or printing is the process of using metallic paper, pressure, and heat to create different glossy designs on a wide variety of materials. Foil stamping produces an attractive final product that elevates the overall design. Foil stamping is a popular printing method in various industries.
What makes foil stamping special are the different colors and finishes it produces. Most hot foil stamp machines are capable of producing designs in brilliant colors like gold and silver, and effects like holographic and pearlescent.
While the technology may seem modern, foil stamping is an ancient practice to decorate manuscripts, amulets, and statues. In the past 20 years, hot stamping machines have steadily expanded across industries and have dominated countless luxury brands.
The Foil Stamping Process
Our ancestors used to stamp gold leaves onto various materials. These days, we rely on highly sophisticated and precise hot foil stamp machines to produce shiny designs.
Regardless of the specific brand or type of stamping machine, the core process should remain the same:
- A custom die based on the desired shape and design is loaded into the machine.
- A metallic foil is placed over the substrate while heat and pressure are applied against a counter plate. Foils can come in a wide range of colors, textures, and finishes.
- The substrate passes through the machine. The die-cut stamps are quickly applied and, at the same time, the foil is cut.
- Any excess foil is removed and what remains is a clean finish.
- The final product’s quality is checked and sent to the next phase of the design process.
With today’s machines, foil stamping jobs or projects have become easier and affordable.
How Does Foil Stamping Help Your Print Project?
Despite the use of modern technology, the process of foil stamping retains its elegance and classic appeal. It’s one of the best ways to add luxury to your brand and draw consumers’ eyes to your product.
Here are some of the ways foil stamping can benefit you or your business:
- Adds prestige: Foil stamping can help elevate your brand by making your products look luxurious and feel prestigious. Foil-stamped packaging is generally associated with a premium brand. For that reason, many businesses are willing to invest in this type of printing process.
- Stands out: In a hyper-competitive market, your products may not be able to survive by looking average. It needs to stand out. Foil stamping can help your products look attractive and allow them to stand out from the competition as the premium alternative.
- Offers versatility: While the most popular foil stamp colors are gold and silver, the possibility doesn’t stop there. Foil stamps can come in other shades, from red to purple. These can also replicate the looks of precious metals.
Where Can You Use Foil Stamping?
Foil stamping can be used in any design and on any type of project. For example, you can transform an ordinary brochure into a premium piece of paper by adding silver or gold sheens. You can impress potential clients or customers with a business card with a dash of bronze.
There are generally no limitations when it comes to foil stamping, but they are more commonly applied in the following:
- Invitations and cards: Add a premium and shiny look to your invitations or holiday cards.
- Business stationery: You can elevate the appearance of your business stationery by adding colored foil to envelopes, letterheads, business cards, and more.
- Marketing Materials: Instantly make your marketing materials look more aspirational, valuable, and far more enticing to your target audience.
- Packaging: Whether it’s a simple sticker or a glossy label, foil stamping adds a level of luxury to your product packaging.
Elevate Your Print Design
Foil stamping can be that all-important factor that will differentiate your product or design from the competition. Foil stamping adds sophistication to your printed projects, helping influence your customer’s decision to choose you above the rest.
SBL Machinery is a leading manufacturer of machines used in the post-printing and packaging industries. If you are interested in hot foil stamp machines or want to know more about our products, please feel free to contact us.